Eligible WFR Recertification students are current graduates (not expired or within a grace period) from:
- A WFR course with a minimum of 70 hours of overall instruction, including a minimum of 45 hours of in-person instruction.
- WFR Recertification courses with a minimum of 16-hours of in-person instruction.
- Outdoor Emergency Care (OEC) certification holders are eligible to recertify in WMA recertification courses. Upon successful completion, students will receive a WFR certification.
- Additional pre-course work will be required.
- Some work may require high speed internet.
WMA International-trained WEMS cardholders may recertify their WEMS in a WMA WFR Recertification course.
Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, WMA International currently accepts one-year on-line extensions of WFR courses that meet the above requirements. We do not accept online extensions that are greater than one year. We do not allow students with a certification from an exclusively online WFR (or WFR recertification) course to attend a WMA recertification course.
Prior to enrolling, please review our Functional Position Description. The criteria in this policy allow students to self-assess their ability to meet the demands of a WMA International course as well as the demands of a certified wilderness medical provider in the field.