WMAI certifications, including Anaphylaxis and CPR certifications, are valid for 3 years through the end of the month of certification (e.g., certified: 3-10-2017; expired: 3-31-2020). There is no grace period to recertify after the expiration date. The three-year certification period is based upon our research into skills retention over time, the importance of supervised, hands-on skills practice in promoting learning, and the nature of the wilderness medical training curriculum.
Please note: Some jurisdictions limit the CPR and Anaphylaxis certifications to 1 or 2 years before requiring a recertification.
Anyone with a current WMAI WFR can recertify through the following course options*:
*WFR students recertifying through a WMA International office may be eligible to recertify in a WAFA course. Please contact the International office directly for more information.
Non-WMAI WFR cardholders are eligible to recertify with WMAI if:
- You earned a valid WFR from an in-person wilderness-based course of 64 hours or more.
- You have a current certification or are within your one-year grace period as determined by the certification provider.
- You earned a WFR from a hybrid program with a minimum of 40 hours of in-person instruction and 24 hours of pre-course work.
- Your most recent WFR recertification course included 16 hours of in-person instruction.
- You have extended your in-person certification by one year through an online course or through a blanket certification extension due to COVID-19, then you are still eligible to recertify. Specific information regarding what documentation is required when enrolling can be found in the following section.
- WMA currently does not accept online extensions or certifications of greater than one year.
Notice for non-WMAI WEMS card holders:
If you have a current WEMS certification from another organization, you may recertify with us and receive a WFR certification. Only current WMAI WEMS graduates can recertify and receive a WEMS certification in any of the above recertification options.